ads

"After 30 Years, I Realized I Am Abrosexual"

 "When I came out as abrosexual to a close friend in 2020, their initial response was disbelief and questioning. They asked when I made this decision and even questioned if it was a legitimate label, as they had never heard of it before. Unfortunately, this exchange led to the end of our friendship. For those unfamiliar with abrosexuality, it's essentially when someone's sexual orientation fluctuates and evolves over time.


As I read and re-read the text, the dismissive tone of their message pierced deeper with each pass. Here I was, vulnerably sharing my identity with someone I trusted, only to be met with scoffs and doubt.

While it's often said that tone can't be fully discerned from a text message, the lack of support was palpable. It felt judgmental, immediately casting doubt upon my words.

Unfortunately, this individual isn't the sole voice of skepticism regarding my abrosexuality – and I fear they won't be the last.

Growing up, the term "abrosexual" never crossed my path. In the nineties, societal norms dictated that one was either straight, gay, or lesbian. Anything outside of those categories was dismissed as fictional.

But we know better now. Despite societal blind spots, we're slowly expanding our understanding of sexual identities.

No comments

'; (function() { var dsq = document.createElement('script'); dsq.type = 'text/javascript'; dsq.async = true; dsq.src = '//' + disqus_shortname + '.disqus.com/embed.js'; (document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0] || document.getElementsByTagName('body')[0]).appendChild(dsq); })();